California woman may file claim against CHP after motorcycle crash

Posted on in Motorcycle Accidents

Being struck by another vehicle while riding on a motorcycle can be a scary experience. Motorcycles are typically smaller than other vehicles that they share the road with; even the slightest nudge can push a motorcycle off course. A motorcycle accident can leave a rider seriously injured.

But what can a motorcyclist do if he or she is hit by a car and the driver had been negligent? One California woman is likely going to file a lawsuit against the negligent driver who ran into her. In this particular situation, the negligent driver was a California Highway Patrol officer.

According to the report, the woman had been riding her motorcycle in the evening last week. She was traveling down the highway and was hit by the CHP officer's vehicle as he was trying to pull someone over. Apparently he was not aware that a motorcycle was in the lane to his right and sideswiped her.

The woman suffered a minor knee injury but had been able to pull over to the side of the road without much difficulty. While details are sparse, it is likely that the CHP officer also pulled off the road to figure out what had happened.

CHP has already conducted its own investigation into the motorcycle accident. The officer was not suspended as a result and has been working since the incident occurred. But the issue is still a matter of negligence. No doubt there were some damages that resulted, including medical expenses and the cost of fixing any damage to the motorcycle.

In any accident where one driver is negligent, the victim like this woman can seek compensation through a civil claim. If awarded compensation, it can help with some of the unexpected financial costs that can arise after a crash.

Source: Daily Press: "CHP unit strikes motorcyclist," Beatriz Valenzuela, Aug. 24, 2011.

AvvoAV10 Best Personal Injury American Justice SCCTLA CAOC

Contact Us Now

Schedule a Free Consultation

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute legal advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific legal issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a meeting with the attorney, please call at 408-293-7777 or complete the intake form below.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
John J. Garvey, III
10 Almaden Blvd, #1220
San Jose, CA 95113

Map and Directions