What to Do After an Auto Accident
Taking the Right Steps with a Skilled San Jose Car Accident Attorney
A car accident is a shocking, frightening, and painful experience in many cases. Whether injuries are mild, severe, or catastrophic, it is important to keep the health and well-being of any injury victim at the forefront. Besides medical considerations, however, there are also critical legal and financial matters to address carefully following an accident.
The Law Office of John J. Garvey, III, has more than 40 years of experience representing car accident victims in California. Sometimes we are asked by various sources for advice on what to do after an auto accident. The following is a rough checklist that can help an auto accident victim and his or her family to move as smoothly as possible toward a successful recovery.
20 Things to do After an Auto Accident
- Call 911.
- Emergency Services will send medical help to the scene, including an ambulance, paramedics, police and fire services.
- Victims should be evaluated and treated by paramedics.
- Living victims should be rushed to an emergency room.
- While the first responders are examining the scene and treating the victims, try to prevent secondary crashes.
- Move any vehicles that are in traffic lanes.
- In order to protect victims from possible gas tank fires or explosions, remove them from the car
- You must not move the victim if you suspect there may be spinal cord injury.
- Cooperate honestly with the police.
- Complete an accident report.
- Contact your own insurance company but…
- Do not make statements to them.
- Do not make a statement to anyone else’s insurer and do not sign off on any settlement they offer you.
- Contact us to arrange a consultation to discuss the accident with us. (jumps to contact info at the bottom of the page)
- Follow your attorney’s advice.
- Be aware that a victim is entitled to compensation for medical bills, loss of wages and pain and suffering.
- Document the evidence relating to the accident with photos
- Get the names and addresses of witnesses
- Insist on access to the crashed vehicle, even if it’s towed to a wrecking yard
- Impress upon wrecking yard managers that the car is not to be altered, removed or destroyed before your attorney can examine it. It may be needed as evidence
Call Us Today for Prompt Legal Advice
For more specific instructions on how to proceed after your San Francisco Bay area car, truck, or motorcycle accident, talk to an experienced San Jose accident lawyer. Contact our San Jose law office after an accident to schedule a free initial consultation. Personal injury cases are handled on a contingency fee basis (no recovery, no fee). Call 408-293-7777 today for an appointment.