In the early morning hours near Red Bluff, California, a fire destroyed a mobile home and spread to adjacent homes, seriously damaging them. The home's occupant suffered severe burns and was rushed to an area hospital. Officials say that the fire was caused by a space heater that had been placed too close to flammable materials.
Heating equipment is involved in a staggering number of fires. In 2009, the National Fire Protection Association estimates that heaters were responsible for 58,900 or 18 percent of home fires. In 2009 alone, these fires caused a total of $1.1 billion in property damage, killed 480 people and injured 1,520. Space heaters are deadly in particular. Statistics show that they are responsible for 80 percent of deaths from fires caused by heating equipment.
Space Heater Safety Tips
Following some commonsense space heater safety tips can ensure that you stay warm and injury-free this winter.
Space heaters, like other products, can sometimes have flaws in its design or contain defects. If believe that you were injured by an unsafe space heater or other heating appliance, contact an experienced personal injury attorney. An attorney can review your situation and assist you in recovering compensation for your injuries.
While this website provides general information, it does not constitute legal advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific legal issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a meeting with the attorney, please call at 408-293-7777 or complete the intake form below.